Virgil Van Dijk handed unofficial new Netherlands role at Euro 2020
Virgil van Dijk will get an unofficial role with the Netherlands at Euro 2020, according to reports. The Liverpool player won’t play at the competition, however.
Virgil van Dijk has never played at an international tournament. He was deemed to last year, though, and he should have done this year.
But events contrived to rule Van Dijk out of Euro 2020.
First, the tournament was postponed and then his serious knee injury ruled him out this year.
The event happened back on October 17th and Van Dijk ‘collided’ with Jordan Pickford in the Merseyside derby. The resulting injury was so serious that the defender wouldn’t play again for the rest of the season.
There was a discussion he’d make it back for the Euros but he had to step aside in the end, even if the Dutch national team needed him to play.
It’s got to hurt, notably as Van Dijk should have captained the Netherlands at Euro 2020. But at least he won’t be seeing things happening from home.
- Georginio Wijnaldum’s emotional words to Andy Robertson before Netherlands vs Scotland game.
- PSG attempting to snatch Georginio Wijnaldum from Barcelona.
- Liverpool FC transfers and rumors.
- ‘Strange’ as Liverpool now worried that their star is becoming the new Sergio Aguero.
According to The Mirror, The Netherlands manager Frank de Boer has granted Van Dijk an ‘unofficial’ role on his backroom staff.
De Boer wants the Liverpool player with the squad, even if he can’t participate on the pitch.
This appears to be more than just a nice gesture, apparently, as De Boer truly believes this will benefit his squad. And reasonably it will – Van Dijk is captain for a reason, after all.
It might come good from a Liverpool prospect, too. This has the fortune to be a positive experience for Van Dijk after the most negative season of his career.
Anything that leaves him motivated and in a good frame of mind sounds good . The Reds are hoping Van Dijk can help rescue another Premier League title next season and a positive summer for the world’s best defender goes some way to helping that.
- Boost for Liverpool in hunt of Kylian Mbappe as Real Madrid departee turns saboteur.
- Jurgen Klopp agrees with Luis Enrique concerning Adama Traore as Chelsea linked in his transfer.
- ‘Devastated’ player hints he was forced out of the club, a decision that Liverpool might soon regret.
- Liverpool completes the second signing acquiring a Ghanaian Wonderkid.
LIKE OUR: FACEBOOK PAGE JOIN OUR: Telegram Group.
JOIN OUR: Facebook Group. JOIN OUR: Telegram Channel.
Virgil Van Dijk handed unofficial new Netherlands role at Euro 2020.