Two former Man City professionals agree with Pep Guardiola concerning Ilkay Gundogan
Former Manchester City skipper Richard Dunne has described having a central-midfielder of Ilkay Gundogan’s status as being an “outstanding asset” for the club.
The former Borussia Dortmund player, who made the switch to the Etihad Stadium back in June 2016, had an excellent campaign in front of goal last term, netting 17 goals in 46 appearances in all competitions.
Of those 17 goals, 13 of them came in the Premier League — meaning he scored more than any other City player in the league last term, highlighting just how important a role he played in the victorious title bid.
Gundogan’s form throughout the 2020/21 campaign pushed opponents to sit up and take note of the German’s achievements in front of goal, with the 30-year-old getting widespread recognition from pundits and other clubs’ fans.
And Dunne has acclaimed Gundogan’s talents, revealing just how important he is to the cause for City.
- Riyad Mahrez gives Jack Grealish a severe warning of his biggest Man City problem.
- Top 10 richest football club owners in the world revealed.
- Man City transfer round-up: Jack Grealish update, Harry Kane plea and left-back plan.
“He is the one midfielder within this squad that can really break the lines, he can get back and defend, but can run almost unnoticed at times and arrive in the box to score goals,” Dunne told City+.
“If you have a central-midfielder who can score 13 goals in the Premier League it is an outstanding asset for your team.
“I think he did alright last season in terms of injuries and things like that. If he keeps clear again… he is such a clever player and just knits things together so nicely.
“He got the goals, but otherwise he sort of goes unnoticed. But the work that he does is incredible.”
Alongside Dunne on the punditry panel was fellow former City player Michael Brown.
Like, the previous midfielder is a big supporter of Gundogan’s talents.
Brown said: “People were actually saying ‘What does he do? Do you like Gundogan and what is his role, and what does he bring to the team?’
“When he started scoring the goals I was pleased for him, because all of a sudden people started to notice him and he was getting more rewards, when, actually, he was still very much a fantastic player.
“Everything he did was for the team and sometimes you get those unnoticed periods and getting those goals certainly helped him. He got better and better and people will find that he is very intelligent.”
- Man City Transfer News: Fabrizio Romano update on “serious target”
- Jack Grealish to complete Man City move next week as Aston Villa are losing fight to keep hold of the midfielder.
- Pep Guardiola special plan for Jack Grealish progressing towards Man City transfer.
- Pundit insists Kane signing could ‘kill’ Man City, namechecks Chelsea star as best alternative.
- Man City traded huge transfer blow over “incredible” £58.5m-rated star, Pep absolutely gutted.
- West Ham present bid for Man City forgotten man.
- Blow to Man City as Harry Kane alternative labeled as ‘Untouchable’ in a fresh twist of events.
- Harry Kane ‘set to sit out Premier League opener match against Man City’
- Harry Kane reveals his delight after Levy hands Man City transfer green light.
LIKE OUR: FACEBOOK PAGE JOIN OUR: Telegram Group.
JOIN OUR: Facebook Group. JOIN OUR: Telegram Channel.
Two former Man City professionals agree with Pep Guardiola concerning Ilkay Gundogan.