Solskjaer forced to confront Man United protesters at training ground.
Furious Manchester United fans held protests against the Glazer family’s ownership and blocked both entrances to the club’s Carrington training ground on Thursday morning in the wake of the European Super League scandal.
Joel Glazer was unveiled as European Super League vice-chairman when the bombshell of the formation of the new outfit was announced to the public Sunday.
Joel Glazer has however apologized in an open letter to all United fans after the club pulled out of the plans the day before.
Furious fans however are still trying to get in terms with what was about to happen before the club pulled back. A statement released by Manchester United read:
“At approximately 9am this morning, a group gained access to the club training ground.
“The manager and others spoke to them. Buildings were secure and the group has now left the site.”
It is reported that around 20 protestors accessed Carrington, carrying banners, and made their way to reception and to the first-team training area. Police were called to the training ground.
- ‘Big six’ Super League club executives told to leave Premier League sub-committees.
- Huge pressure for Man Utd to sell the club as Joel Glazer issues fans with an apology following Super League shambles.
- ‘No club has ‘officially left’ Super League.’ Real president Perez.
Manchester United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer was joined by Michael Carrick, Darren Fletcher, and Nemanja Matic in addressing the fans, who then dispersed.
The Red Issue Twitter account showed an image of fans on a training pitch with a banner reading ‘Glazers Out’ while another another saying ‘51% MUFC 20’ in reference to the model of ownership used widely in Germany.
In another image, protestors are shown holding a banner reading ‘we decide when you play’ outside the entrance to the main training ground building.
- Ed Woodward sends message to Arsenal, Chelsea, and Tottenham Directors after the European Super League debacle.
- Defiant statement by European Super League amid ‘big six’ withdrawal.
- Harry Maguire ‘confronted’ Woodward at ‘angry’ Man Utd meeting.
- Edinson Cavani ‘makes Man Utd transfer decision’ with Boca Juniors poaching.
- Pogba reveals why he loves playing with Bruno Fernandes.