Saul Niguez clarifies Chelsea’s vow that influenced his Stamford Bridge move, revealing his big fears in Chelsea transfer
Saul Niguez explained that Chelsea made an oath ahead of his deadline day loan move to train him in his favorite position.
Speaking on Ibai’s Twitch channel last night, Saul was speaking candidly for the first time following his last-minute switch to Stamford Bridge from Atletico Madrid.
Chelsea made a late rush to sign the Spaniard in the dying embers of the summer transfer barbeque.
Just as the final flames were being extinguished, they succeeded to pour just enough fuel to get this deal done.
Saul signed on a season-long loan deal with the option of a permanent transfer away from Atletico come June time.
The 26-year-old has been a devoted servant to the La Liga champions all his life.
Yet, his commitment reached a limit last term, as he was used mainly as a spare part by Diego Simeone.
He was pushed to play in all manner of roles, a demand that continued into this campaign, where the midfielder has been deployed at left-wing back.
- Chelsea warned of their transfer mistake that could cost them Premier League title
- Saul Niguez’s first words after Chelsea complete loan agreement for Atletico Madrid player
- Aston Villa have beaten Chelsea and Manchester City to the best transfer of the summer window
- Player pulled out of training as a move to Chelsea closes in. A late deal imminent
Undeniably, his talents are best utilized centrally, which is how Chelsea promised they would use him.
“Chelsea has promised me to train in my position, to play we will see,” admitted Saul.
“To return to certain customs that I do not do now, that is the most important reason for my decision.”
Thomas Tuchel’s midfield is already one of the world’s most elite packages.
Big fears in Chelsea transfer
Saul Niguez is now a new Chelsea player for this season, joining on loan with an option to buy.
But the player himself has admitted that he was nervous and thought the move would not ‘come in’ in the final stages, and he even says his wife was nervous.
It sounds like it wasn’t just Chelsea fans that were panicking last night!
After joining Chelsea last night, Saul spoke to Si & Dan Talk Chelsea, where he said:
“At 11:57 p.m. we finished reviewing the contract and they had to see it there … I was like De Gea. I thought: ‘This is not going to come in and that’s it.’ It has been a long afternoon and night.
“My wife was very nervous, we have had some very complicated days, because this decision is not easy. Leaving my house on a new adventure is complicated.”
- Thomas Tuchel reveals why Chelsea’s favorite is yet to play a game this term
- ‘Thank you son’: Didier Drogba reacts to former Blues teammate’s farewell to Chelsea following summer departure
- Tuchel asserts Chelsea could have ‘hurt’ Liverpool more had he been able to use two players
- Too bitter to take: Eduard Mendy pours out his frustration on Henderson after Liverpool penalty trick slotted in by Salah