Pep Guardiola makes a strong Phil Foden claim when challenged for Lionel Messi comparison.
Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola has described his comments about Phil Foden being ‘the most talented player he has ever seen’ in contrast with Lionel Messi.
Foden has had his greatest season yet for City, assisting them win the Premier League, the Carabao Cup, and reach the Champions League final.
Many are inclining the England international to go on and match one of the best players in the world.
Back in the summer of 2019, Guardiola seemed to allege that Foden is better than Barcelona legend Messi.
“He has everything to become one of the best players,” he said while Foden was sitting alongside him.
“I have said many times in press conferences, but maybe not said it in front of him, Phil is the most, most, most talented player I have ever seen in my career as a manager.
- The complete head-to-head record between Pep Guardiola and Thomas Tuchel. Who rules?
- Manchester City legend Yaya Toure message to Aston Villa’s Jack Grealish
- Why Chelsea will lose to Man city in the Champions League final.
- Raheem Sterling warns Chelsea of the only thing that can stop them from winning the Champions League.
“His only problem is sometimes his manager doesn’t put him in the starting XI. Hopefully in the future that can improve.”
However, Guardiola has backtracked a little on that call, indicating that Messi is in particular at the top of the list, though he didn’t manage the Argentine until later in his career.
“Well, the best is Messi, first,” Guardiola told Rio Ferdinand in an interview for BT Sport.
“Second, I didn’t meet Leo Messi at 17-years-old like I met Phil (Foden), and that age, I’ve never seen a player with this potential.
“But you have to see it on the pitch and on the biggest stages.”
Guardiola also hailed Foden’s positive mindset and ability to forget his mistakes, maintaining those kinds of mental qualities can not be ignored.
“He’s comfortable. He loves to play,” the Spaniard added. “When this happens, you have to protect him. He’s a guy who makes mistakes but he’s forgotten (them).
“The most important part for a football player is the head.
“He’s forgotten in one instance, one second. He thinks about the next one. The game against Borussia Dortmund at home, he missed three chances.
“Do you know who scored? It was him. I had the feeling, he’s 20 years old.”
- Man City ace Phil Foden exposes his worst Chelsea horror ahead of Champions League climax.
- Pep Guardiola’s warning to Thomas Tuchel before Champions League final match.
- Ilkay Gundogan identifies two Man City players who have been crucial in the club’s success this season.
- Pep Guardiola reveals what he uncovered from Thomas Tuchel and describes his Chelsea fear ahead of Saturday Champions League final.
- Total destroyer. When Aguero scored five goals in 20 minutes.
LIKE OUR: FACEBOOK PAGE JOIN OUR: Telegram Group.
JOIN OUR: Facebook Group. JOIN OUR: Telegram Channel.
Pep Guardiola makes a strong Phil Foden claim when challenged for Lionel Messi comparison