Manchester United had a penalty appeal for handball against Chelsea’s Callum Hudson-Odoi turned down by referee Stuart Attwell, who after viewing it on the pitchside monitor upheld his decision. The ball, which appeared to hit both players in a contest for the ball inside the penalty area, first hitting Greenwood on the upper arm then finding Hudson-Odoi’s hand did not seem to catch the attention of the referee Stuart Attwell who allowed the play to continue. Manchester United Ole Ole Gunnar dissatisfied by the referee decision not to allow them a penalty.
The referee was however directed to re-look at the incident again by the video assistant referee (VAR) who after viewing a replay, still didn’t feel satisfied to change his decision. According to the referee, Hudson Odoi did not move his hand towards the ball therefore saw no need to penalise him for a handball.
Solskjaer however did not take this calmly. He felt his team was denied an opportunity to nail the game from a penalty spot. Reflecting on the whole incident, the United coach expressed his concern terming the whole scenario as incidences where managers influence the referees’ decisions.
- Former Manchester United star who now works as a builder.
- Champions League. Best team that failed to win plus ranking of worst to best winners.
- How Edison Cavani helped Greenwood complete a comeback against Brighton.
- Paul Scholes disagrees with Ole Gunnar about who is Manchester United first-choice goalkeeper.
This comes days after Liverpool Coach Klopp and former Chelsea manager Frank Lampard had questioned decisions on penalties when it comes to the Manchester United team, which they said doesn’t seem to apply to their teams. Manchester United have so far been awarded 22 penalties in the Premier League since the start of last season which is more than any other team in the division.
Ole Gunnar was angered by a match preview that was on the Chelsea website which criticized refereeing decisions from previous meetings between the two teams. Luke shaw had claimed that he had overheard Attwell that there will be a lot of talks afterwards in referring to him not awarding a penalty, a claim that Manchester United claim he misheard the conversation.
- How ‘SMART’ Ferguson outplayed Liverpool to land Cristiano at Old Trafford.
- Erling Haaland comment about Manchester United is just a glimpse of unfolding events.
- Luke Shaw digs into Mourinho and Van Gaal man-management skills.
- TOP 10 RIGHT-BACKS THAT RULE THE FOOTBALL WORLD RIGHT