Mason Greenwood missing on the Manchester United squad list for the Champions League explained
Mason Greenwood isn’t incorporated on Manchester United’s squad list for the Champions League but is still suitable to play in the group stages of the competition.
United announced their 25-man squad with some first-team names such as Phil Jones missing, but several supporters spotted that prolific young forward Greenwood was also missing from the list.
Fans were a bit concerned that he may have suffered an injury that could rule him out long-term, but it’s actually just a simple reason for his lack of incorporation and that’s that the club doesn’t need to register him.
UEFA rules state that any player under the age of 21 that qualifies as “homegrown” doesn’t need to be registered as part of the maximum 25-man squad for the tournament and can alternatively be included on the B list.
This means that while they aren’t listed on the official UEFA website, they are still qualified to play in the competition so long as they are added to the B list which can be amended by the club at any time.
Last season United added youngsters Anthony Elanga, Shola Shoretire and Hannibal Mejbri to the B list in the Europa League during the knockout rounds after their elevation to the first-team from the academy and they are all likely to be included once again this time around for the Champions League.
Man United open up their European campaign against Swiss outfit Young Boys on Tuesday September 14th before matches against Villarreal and Atalanta make up the rest of the group.
- ‘This is a love story’- Arsene Wenger warns Ole Gunnar Solskjaer his greatest challenge with Cristiano Ronaldo
- Blow to United Man United as Government reject their request for Ronaldo isolation exemption
- Juventus legends slam Cristiano Ronaldo for disrespecting the Old Lady and putting the club ‘in a difficult situation.’
- Cristiano Ronaldo sends message to Edinson Cavani after Man Utd star hands him No 7 shirt
- Confirmed: Cristiano Ronaldo will wear the iconic no.7 shirt after returning to Old Trafford