Marcelo dropped from the Real Madrid team after an intense training ground row with Zinedine Zidane.
Real Madrid player Marcelo has reportedly been dumped for his side’s crucial La Liga clash against Granada on Thursday due to a blazing training ground dispute with manager Zinedine Zidane.
Leaders Atletico Madrid’s 2-1 triumph over Real Sociedad on Wednesday means Los Blancos must claim three points against Granada to grasp their title dreams alive, as they now sit five points behind their neighbors with a game in hand in an exciting run-in.
There were some eyebrows raised when experienced left-back Marcelo’s name was left off the team sheet for Thursday’s clash, particularly given that fellow full-back Ferland Mendy is out for the rest of the campaign.
And according to Goal the Brazilian’s absenteeism is as a result of a violent bust-up he had with Zidane during training on Tuesday.
- PSG targets Liverpool’s Mohamed Salah as possible Kylian Mbappe replacement.
- The advice Jurgen Klopp gave Steven Gerrard before he left Liverpool.
- Frank Lampard offered a return to Premier League coaching role.
- Five Arsenal stars ‘have resolved to leave the club’ this summer.
They claim that the 33-year-old has been less than moved with his manager’s tactics and starting line-ups of late, and feel they have cost the team alot in recent weeks.
Things came to a head during Tuesday’s session, with the two men understood to have had a heated exchange.
It is also thought that Marcelo is far from the only senior player to be losing faith in Zidane, and there is a agreement that the Frenchman will leave in the summer and walk away from the club a year early from the end of his deal.
The timing of the conflict between Marcelo and Zidane is far from ideal given the weight of the upcoming matches.
Yet even if they do end up winning La Liga this has been a far from stellar season from Madrid, who were easily defeated in the semi-finals of the Champions League by Chelsea and also disappointed to claim either the Copa del Rey or Spanish Supercup.
Some reports have proposed that Zidane could make an affectionate return to Juventus this summer – speculation which has grown given the fact that their head coach Andrea Pirlo looks to be lining up for the sack in Turin.
And if that is the case it will be interesting to see who gets the top job at the Bernabeu, with their infamous president Florentino Perez no doubt keen on a different big name.
- Every Premier League club most feared opponents.
- Clubs that have already been crowned league champions across Europe.
- Ballon d’Or 2021 Power Rankings. Top 20.
- Not Kevin De Bruyne, Not Bruno Fernandes. Who tops in the best premier league players this season?
- Top 5 Young Stars Who Could Win The Ballon d’Or in future.