Maguire Europa League final in doubt after Aston Villa clash.
Manchester United’s Harry Maguire could miss the Europa League final after Ole Gunnar Solskjaer said his captain could miss a “few weeks” with the injury sustained versus Aston Villa.
The England center-back was visibly pained after a challenge with Anwar El Ghazi in Sunday’s 3-1 victory and had to be replaced by Eric Bailly after just 78 minutes.
United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is waiting to learn the extent of the injury sustained to the lower leg, and with the Europa League final against Villarreal scheduled for May 26, Maguire’s spot for the fixture is unclear.
“Hopefully that [the final] will be okay with Harry,” Solskjaer said.
“I don’t know. We need to check it. It might be a few weeks or a month – we don’t know.
“It was his calf or lower leg. I think the player landed on him and he twisted something.”
However, Solskjaer explained that the injury may not be too serious as he waits to learn of the damage.
“I don’t know how serious it is. He might be available on Tuesday, he might not,” he added.
- Mason Greenwood rise to stardom undisputed as he breaks another United record.
- Cavani to stay? Solskjaer speaks on next season for Man Utd striker after latest goal.
- Cristiano Ronaldo and Juventus staring at Europa League next season after AC Milan’s defeat.
- Villarreal vs Manchester United – Bizarre head-to-head record.
Maguire had earlier played every minute in the Premier League since joining from Leicester City. His run of 71 games in series means he only tied Gary Pallister for an outfield United player in the competition – with the ex-Red Devils defender coincidentally also seeing his streak interrupted by injury at Villa Park in 1995-96 summer.
“Harry has been excellent and it’s almost unheard of, the minutes he’s played,” Solskjaer said.
“His fitness is very good – he’s robust. But, today, it looked like the boy landed on him and he twisted his ankle.”
For the 10th time this season, The Red Devils had to come from behind in an away league match to dodge defeat, with a Bruno Fernandes penalty and efforts from Mason Greenwood and Edinson Cavani canceling out Bertrand Traore’s fine first-half strike.
Greenwood – who registered 16th Premier League goals now has the most as a teenager for United, beating Wayne Rooney’s previous benchmark of 15 – hailed the character to fight back again.
“It is some achievement. We don’t really want to go behind but it gives us a little boost to come back and get the win,” he told BBC Sport.
“It was well-improved [in the second half]. Ole said his bits in the changing room. It seemed to pay off.
“To be on the main stage and scoring important goals like today, it means a lot.
“We just concentrate on ourselves, we take it game by game. We want to get as many points as we can and keep the pressure on [Manchester City].”
- Every Premier League club most feared opponents.
- Clubs that have already been crowned league champions across Europe.
- Ballon d’Or 2021 Power Rankings. Top 20.
- Not Kevin De Bruyne, Not Bruno Fernandes. Who tops in the best premier league players this season?
- Top 5 Young Stars Who Could Win The Ballon d’Or in future.