Jurgen Klopp wants Liverpool to sign Chelsea star whose Chelsea future at Stamford Bridge remains uncertain
Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp is reportedly keen on Chelsea winger Callum Hudson-Odoi ahead of the January transfer window.
Hudson-Odoi didn’t star as Thomas Tuchel’s side overcame Tottenham 3-0 to go top of the Premier League on Sunday, with the winger having strived for minutes so far this season.
Hudson-Odoi has made just two appearances for Chelsea since the start of the new season, having started the Super Cup triumph over Villarreal and the 3-0 win against Aston Villa nine days ago.
The 20-year-old was believed to be close to joining Borussia Dortmund on loan ahead of the transfer deadline, but Tuchel declined to sanction the move, saying it was “impossible” to let him go.
Hudson-Odoi was selected at right wing-back for the home encounter against Villa, which was Chelsea’s first match after the transfer window closed.
But Sunday’s victory over Spurs suggested he still faces a fight to carve out a place in Tuchel’s team, with N’Golo Kante and Timo Werner coming on for Mason Mount and Kai Havertz, while Hudson-Odoi remained on the bench.
The winger was also left out of key matches towards the end of last term – including all of Chelsea’s Champions League games from the quarter-finals to when they beat Manchester City in the final in Porto.
- Liverpool’s James Milner tells Jurgen Klopp to drop star man after Crystal Palace victory
- Unbelievable Jürgen Klopp and Liverpool stat surfaces, revealing Reds’ Premier League dominance
- James Milner makes Ibrahima Konate prediction after Liverpool debut
- ‘Alexander-Arnold wanted to avoid facing Wilfried Zaha’- James Milner pokes fun at teammate’s absence
- Liverpool star Fabinho reveals why Jurgen Klopp’s men are not among Premier League title favorites
- ‘Interesting’: Peter Schmeichel reveals what he noticed about Klopp on the Liverpool touchline
He faces competition from Mount, Havertz, Werner, Hakim Ziyech and Christian Pulisic for a place in Chelsea’s attack alongside Romelu Lukaku, while Cesar Azpilicueta and Reece James are Tuchel’s favored options at right wing-back.
Despite Tuchel having ruled out a summer move, speculation has continued over Hudson-Odoi’s future, with Liverpool manager Klopp said to be keen on a move.
That’s according to Calcio Mercato, which claims the Reds are carefully considering whether to raid their Premier League rivals for his signature.
Liverpool were also associated with interest in Hudson-Odoi in the summer, having reportedly held discussions with his agent two-and-a-half years ago after Bayern Munich had a bid declined.
It seems doubtful the Stamford Bridge outfit would sanction a move for the winger to one of their title rivals, with Chelsea and Liverpool currently neck and neck at the top of the table.
And after Hudson-Odoi impressed against Villa, Tuchel spoke about why he had refused to let him join Dortmund.
“We have spoken. It was a very easy decision for me to make on the last day of the transfer period,” said the manager.
“We cannot let a player who is in the 18/19 man squad leave. He is able to play as a right wing-back, a left wing-back, in the two 10 positions.
“He knows the group, we know him very well. There was no chance to say yes on the last day.
“For him personally, it may have been a good opportunity but for us and our targets that we want to achieve, it was simply impossible. It was an easy one for me actually.”
- ‘Machine’: Ian Wright says Liverpool have an absolutely ‘extraordinary’ player in their ranks
- Jurgen Klopp admits Liverpool have a player that people tend to ignore how good he is
- Jamie Carragher DESTROYS Gary Neville after a careless Liverpool tweet following dramatic come-back against Ac Milan
- Liverpool’s Harvey Elliott mocks Man Utd fan’s tasteless comment after injury vs Leeds United
- ‘No doubt about it’ – Klopp makes Champions League claim about Liverpool’s ‘proper Champions League group’.
- Joleon Lescott delivers a two-word reply when asked if Liverpool can win the Champions League