Jorginho responds to fresh Ballon d’Or claims amid midfielder’s transfer admission
Chelsea player Jorginho has not made a big fuss about possibly winning the Ballon d’Or award after the 2020/21 campaign saw the midfielder maestro win the Champions League and European Championships respectively with club and country.
Jorginho, 29, has been a player that has really grown on the Blues fanbase after an uncomfortable start to his life in SW6 under Maurizio Sarri.
Since Sarri left the club after the Europa League success in 2018/19, the Euro 2020 winner has found his feet in the heart of the Blues midfield and has formed great working links with N’Golo Kante and Mateo Kovacic.
Consequently, Jorginho has been vital to the recent success of the west London club on the football pitch, and coupled with his international accolades, had legally been put forward for the glamourous Ballon d’Or award.
With Lionel Messi, unsurprisingly, heavy favorite to claim the seventh award of his career, the 29-year-old isn’t paying much thought to what’s going on surrounding the talk that he could be a rare midfielder to scoop the accolade.
- Sam Allardyce identifies one Chelsea problem that could cost them the Premier League title
- Didier Drogba takes a dig at Arsenal after Willian departure
- Saul Niguez clarifies Chelsea’s vow that influenced his Stamford Bridge move, revealing his big fears in Chelsea transfer
- Chelsea warned of their transfer mistake that could cost them Premier League title
“I will let you talk about the Ballon d’Or, I am just trying to enjoy the moment,” said Jorginho, via FootballItalia.
“There are still a few months to go before that decision is made and I am focused on relishing the present, then we’ll see what happens…”
Chelsea legend Gianfranco Zola has previously backed his Italian landsman for the 2021 award.
“Now we are talking about a fantastic player like Messi who did extraordinary things for the first time with his national team – and this won’t go unnoticed,” Zola told Sporting Index back in July.
“Should they give it to Jorginho? It would be deserved. He gives concrete balance and pace to his teams. I was lucky to have him at Chelsea and I know what he does on the pitch.
“It would be deserved because not only were his performances at a high level, but the teams he played for have been outstanding. This must be taken into account.”
Jorginho’s representative Joao Santos has been rather open when talking about his client’s future, and despite the midfielder’s ambitions to move back to Italy in the future, his agent has admitted that all focus is solely on playing with Chelsea.
“He has a two-year contract with Chelsea,” Santos told Tuttomercato back at the start of April (via Sport Witness).
“He thinks about playing the European Championship. And then the World Cup in Qatar. He will remain at Chelsea, 100%.
“We will talk about [a new contract] in a few months.”
Chelsea’s number 5 has now confirmed his agent’s comments with his own verdict on where he sees his immediate club future being at.
“I have no offers and I am not really thinking about it, to be honest,” he said. “I am 29 years old and you are asking me where I’ll end my career, I want to play until 40! If they sign me to a 10-year contract…”
- Saul Niguez’s first words after Chelsea complete loan agreement for Atletico Madrid player
- Aston Villa have beaten Chelsea and Manchester City to the best transfer of the summer window
- Player pulled out of training as a move to Chelsea closes in. A late deal imminent
- Thomas Tuchel reveals why Chelsea’s favorite is yet to play a game this term
- ‘Thank you son’: Didier Drogba reacts to former Blues teammate’s farewell to Chelsea following summer departure