Chilwell justifies his reason for joining Chelsea from Leicester.
England and Chelsea player Ben Chilwell believes his decision to join Chelsea from Leicester has been justified, with the star pointing to the semi-finals of the Champions League as a satisfying reason for his claim.
The 24-year-old left-back seems happy at Stamford Bridge after he completed a £50 million ($70m) switch from King Power in the summer of 2020.
He was a regular under former Chelsea manager Frank Lampard although he has found himself in a competitive position under Thomas Tuchel, but has enjoyed his time in west London and helped Chelsea in putting themselves in contention for European glory alongside an FA Cup final berth and a top-four standing in the Premier League.
- Lionel Messi tipped three Chelsea players for stardom
- Cristian Pulisic equals Messi’s record after Porto game.
- Hakim Ziyech names two Chelsea teammates likely to become managers in the future.
- Chelsea fans angered with Real Madrid star’s comments.
Chilwell talked to talkSPORT ahead of the first leg of a Champions League clash with Real Madrid: The 24 years old said:
“This is the reason I came to Chelsea. You want to be playing in so-called cup finals every week when you’re challenging for top four.
“We’ve got Real Madrid on Tuesday, which is stuff as a kid you dream about and we’ve got a cup final.
“It’s a reason I came to Chelsea and we’re excited. Every week is going to be an important game when we are challenging for silverware and top four.
“The Euros on top of that as well, we’re hoping to capitalize on that.”
Chilwell looks very upbeat and motivated ahead of their Champions League semi-final game against Real Madrid. While stressing on the importance of claiming another morale-boosting success, Chilwell added:
“(It was) massive. Both teams are fighting for top four.
We’re roughly on the same number of points, so we knew whoever won would have a good chance of getting in the top four.
“Thankfully we won and we knew before the game the importance of it. The clean sheet is massive and to get the goal we were happy for Timo.”
- Signing Haaland could be a “disaster.” Chelsea warned.
- Thiago Silva is lucky to play football. He survived a death scare and almost gave up at 21 years.
- Thomas Tuchel reveals his tactic that worked in his win against Manchester City.
- Eden Hazard feelings about potentially playing against Chelsea.